Monday, February 16, 2009

And while you're at it, get someone to clean these windows, there's filth and muck all over them.



I love my son Topher, he has always been very practical. He tends to be organized and intellectual and tries to do the right thing. He is also very considerate (usually). He is a good worker and when he is in a good mood, he will go and go. (No, he's not a perfect child, there are other moods...whoa).

He made me laugh tonight though. We were over feeding the pigs with the Johnsons this evening, which can take a while. Nate gets the produce from a local grocery store here that they are throwing out and feeds his pigs with that. We typically have to dig through a little bit and get any wrappers off any pre-packaged stuff as well as rubber bands and twist ties from bundled veggies. Nate has noticed recently that his pigs have become somewhat picky and are choosing to ignore citrus. Now all citrus gets tossed into the compost pile. This becomes quite a wonderful game for the 4 boys that that typically help with chores over there. (Topher, Ronan, and Nate's oldest boys, Isaac and Virg).

All of the boys were reaching in and snagging the citrus to throw on the compost pile, (probably 50-75 ft. away) and of course, it is wet and sticky. Topher, who is also somewhat fastidious, would toss something into the pile, and then come over and put his hand on my shoulder in what I interpreted to be a gesture of affection. After a few times, I saw him toss a another orange or lemon or something and put his hand on Isaac's shoulder.

Well I realized that, Topher was not being affectionate, but rather his practical side was taking over. In the absence of wipes or paper towels he was very affectionately wiping his hands on those around him to expunge the sticky, wet produce residue from his hands.

Ha.

4 comments:

Lauralee said...

We've done a great job of teaching this child, haven't we, honey?

JeNeale said...

What a super-smart young man you have! I totally understand, though. There is nothing worse than sticky citrus on your hands. Yuck.

Unknown said...

Hey, that is one smart boy you have. He reminds me of some other boys that I used to know--guess who?

Beth Niquette said...

What a wonderful story. I've really enjoyed reading your blog this evening! (grin)